Friday, 25 April 2008

Highs & Lows

Hiya!
I had a great time in Auckland, but I'm super glad to be back. We had a heaps of fun at the Sommerset reunion show, if you're a fan check out this video, that's my geeky young boyfriend doing a thumbs up at 1:44 mins! & I found a great new gem- Fabric & Pretty Things (by Trelise Cooper)
I know what you're thinking & I have to say I'm not a fan of her work, but this shop is great!! It sells trims, buttons, all sorts of haberdashery & of course fabric! It's very nicely merchandised and even though it is essentially a house, it doesn't feel awkward at all. Also there is a whole wall of draw shelves - just like World Sweet Worlds wee project (below). Fabric & Pretty things is located at 479 Parnell Road, across the road and up a bit from her other shop.


On a different note a great food spot that used to be our regular is Zap 2. Freshest & cheapest Thai food in Auckland, there's no denying it. 639 Dominion Road Balmoral. I have yet to find Thai this good in Welly, suggestions please!

I'm just starting to get back in the swing of things here & am about to go print up some more scarves, but I'm really feeling in a bit of a musical rut. There is only so many times one can listen to the Shins! Searching through YouTube now I have come across the Concretes, where have I been? I feel like I'm so behind the times, I always seem to discover bands long after they're cool or just after they've toured here. I really love this video & they're Swedish- anything Scandinavian is automatically cool. Also have a look at this great clip from
The concretes singer Victoria Bergsman's solo project Taken by Trees.

Aaaaand, have a look at these great blogs that featured us! Studio Home Creative & Etsy Love.
xxx

3 comments:

lily, rosemary and the jack of hearts said...

A wee tip I just found that might help! from kirins notebook "Gocco tip - I've often had problems with the large solid areas of my prints being a bit patchy. I believe this is due to excess carbon in the original artwork which overheats and stick to the screen. However - there's some special stuff you can get called "Artwork Clean-up Paper". It looks suspiciously like baking paper and you iron it over your original and it lifts the excess carbon off. Worked for me!"

Annnd I'm off to the trelise shop tomorrow afternoon just for a gawk. It was closed Anzac :(

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of Fabric and Pretty Things, where have I been?
But yay I can put it on my list of places to visit... & will take me in the area of the chocolate boutique cafe which I will reluctantly have to revisit!

Swonderful said...

It's pretty new I think, my boyfs Ma told me about it!
Some of it is a bit too Treslise-ish & beware of the bridal room, but the back room is great & they have some good knits for $10 a metre.
Oh sure, I can sense your reluctancy right now... :)